Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Touch - Touch

Touch - Touch


#220
1980 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
Touch
Touch
Genre: Total Metal! Wait…no…Toto Metal! That’s it. 
25 out of 5



Highlights:
When the Spirit Moves You
Black Star
Yes (You Need to Rock n Roll)

Tell me this that doesn’t sound like Toto and Ratt had a baby and it was this. All the elements are there but I don’t think the timing was right. Is it possible that Touch was not in touch with the times but, in actuality, ahead of their time??
I have said this often, but I have a soft spot for this Middle of the Road Power Rock sound. I love the audacity of it, the obligatory guitar solos, the playing-to-the-cheap seats quality, even the damned keyboards. It’s cheese. But I do love me some cheese on occasion.
One of these guys goes off to write for Michael Bolton, among others, but Bolton doesn’t sound like this. This is a band that adored Zeppelin. And Toto. And Queen. And Styx.  I hear that in “Black Star”, especially. 
If Styx can have a hit with “Come Sail Away”, then Touch should have had one with “Yes (You Need to Rock n Roll)”

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxh-EAslpg

No comments: