Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Freshies - Rough n' Ready

The Freshies - Rough n' Ready

#208
1980 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
The Freshies
Rough ’N’ Ready
Genre: Power Pop
4.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Yellow Spot
Oh Girl
House Beautiful
We’re Like You



I am loathe to admit that I know so little about Frank Sidebottom. I never saw the movie, Frank. I never listened to any of his music. But this is one of the reasons that I still want to get a turntable. So I can get my hands on this spinner. 
This is one solid Power Pop gem after another. (duh, 1980) What it immediately brings to mind is a Power Pop supergroup from the mid-00s called Tinted Windows, an Adam Schlesinger group that featured Bun E. Carlos, Taylor Hansen and James Iha and was one of the more fun records to come out that year. There is no doubt in my mind that Adam heard all these records growing up, especially The Freshies. This album is excellent, so of course…it doesn’t stream. 
The tracks we are missing are also the tracks that are missing from the Best of album so if you want, hit that up cuz, wowza is that good. 


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJGwFfpDV0&list=PLlvn8uktX5LthIDWghTDlrnWgVmrZkumu  (Missing x tracks - Yeah-No-I Know, Yesterday/Tomorrow, Photograph, and New Edition)

No comments: