Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Graham Parker and the Rumor - The Up Escalator

Graham Parker and the Rumor - The Up Escalator


#225
Reviewed by George Chastain Jr. 
May 23, 1980 
 Graham Parker and the Rumor 
The Up Escalator 
Genre: I can be Costello, too 
Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 
George’s Rating: 3 out of 5 


 Allen’s Highlights: 
No Holding Back
The Beating of Another Heart
Endless Night
Maneuvers

George’s Highlights: 
 No Holding Back 
Stupefaction 
Maneuvers 
Jolie Jolie 

 By George Chastain Jr. 

I hope it’s not just me, but I swear Graham Parker sounds just like Elvis Costello. I’m not sure if it’s the strong vocal similarity or not, but The Up Escalator feels like it could be an Elvis Costello album. I’m not sure which came first – the chicken or Elvis Costello – but Graham Parker, while close, is just not Elvis Costello. Now, that’s not to say I did not like the album. I did. In fact, it’s the first album I’ve been assigned that I can say that about, but simply put, I would not have it on a rotating play list on Spotify. I really like the piano on many of the songs, especially on No Holding Back. Graham Parker is not a great singer which is very apparent on The Beating of Another Heart, but I can’t sing any better, so he gets a pass, and the vocal comparison to Costello does not hurt him here. Speaking of the comparison, and this is one area which, in my books, makes him inferior to Costello, is that Parker’s vocals lack character and personality. While the two sound alike, there is something about the vocal personality or character of Costello’s voice that makes him superior. There are the occasional lyrics that reach out and grab you. No Holding Back is a fun, catchy ditty with great backing piano. Probably my favorite tune on the album. Devil’s Sidewalk has the lines “No-one's got names, under the flames. Everyone screams, hope it's a dream.” Ouch! Stupefaction is the one song I heard before listening to this album. Holds up. Maneuvers has a great tempo, guitar and piano. “My whole life is one more move too late.” I know what he means. I found myself walking around the house singing “Jolie Jolie”, so I think that says something about that song. Couple of provocative lines in that song, “I don't use teardrops as a weapon by choice. They just a fall out of my eyes.” and “The women so hungry that they eat their own kids.” Nice, very nice. However, the music is not particularly inspirational or inspired. If I had to place them, I would say Graham Parker and the Rumor is the college band who got a gig at a local bar which you and your friends frequented, especially when someone just turned 21. Fun and serviceable as you slam down another Jägermeister. https://open.spotify.com/album/0zou3RTyA8ARDPVAYB0eEp?si=TjxuAsO7SuCQFuQzP-lR1Q&fbclid=IwAR2f67kXeiqC4iS-9mn90LaAet72w0NQL5aRZE2gGZFlhfPex8Xxt6_1gvQ

No comments: