Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Cabaret Voltaire - Three Mantras

Cabaret Voltaire - Three Mantras


#201
by Daniel Irwin
May 1 1980
Cabaret Voltaire
Three Mantras
Genre: Electronic
Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5
Daniel’s Rating: 1.5 out of 5 

by Daniel Irwin

 Cabaret Voltaire’s “Three Mantras” is the electronic equivalent of a Grateful Dead record, qne I don’t care for the Grateful Dead. In general, I like my music to have structure. This album is sorely lacking structure. Two tracks, each clocking in at 20-odd minutes, “Western Mantra” and “Eastern Mantra”. Both tracks are a mashup of tape loops and atonal sounds that would never end if that had to stop due to running out of vinyl groove space. Where is the Third Mantra? Their idea at irony, it seems. This is not an album that begs to be heard more than once. Why did I give it a 1.5 and not a “0”? I think it deserves recognition as a signpost along the evolutionary highway of electronic music.


No comments: