Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Billy Squier - The Tale of the Tape

Billy Squier - The Tale of the Tape


#222
by Rob Slater
Billy Squier
The Tale of the Tape 
Genre – Hard Pop
Allen’s Rating: 4 out of 5
Rob’s Rating: 3.75 (4) out of 5  

Highlights: 
 The Big Beat 
 Calley Oh   

 Great debut and you can hear where “Don't Say Know” came from. Wondering if I should listen to Piper, the band he was in before this. Two albums. When my review is written, I'll need to see if Allen's already done it. “The Big Beat” – It's “The Stroke” in a first draft form. And it's good. Not sure why it didn't do better. Nice guitar stuff as well. And he's got the Rawk voice. Turns out that big beat in the song has been sampled more than 300 times. “Calley Oh" – Classic girls name in a song. Noticing how nicely clean everything is in terms of hearing every instrument. Nice harmonies. "Rich Kid" – Okay, this track is a little bit off in terms of the sound, but the bones are amazing. And the guitar is great. It's just an okay song. "Like I'm Lovin' You" – The walk down before the key change oh, man is amazing. This guy has got it all. I think I may nominate Billy squier for the most underrated artists of the 80s despite the hits. "Who Knows What a Love Can Do" – This song just made my day. I am energized. I may not be the right person to review this album; I freaking love Billy Squier. [Break to fix the dryer vent. Assuming I would have to get up at this point and turn the record over!] "You Should Be High Love" – Here's the hit. And guess who he co-wrote it with? Desmond Child. Originally gave the album a 4, but listened to it again, and it's got a bit of filler. I would put half these songs on a playlist. It's good. Some nice keyboards, but not overdone, probably because he's such a guitar guy! “Backup” band included: Ernest "Boom" Carter, Bruce Kulick, David Sancious. Reasons why keyboards, drums and guitar are all good! Not that the other players are slouches, just haven't heard of them.


No comments: