Friday, July 17, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Elevators - Frontline

The Elevators - Frontline


#217
1980 Housekeeping
The Elevators
Frontline
Genre: Power Pop-New Wave 
3.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Girlfriend’s Girlfriend
Friends




Here we have another in a long series of skinny tie new wave/power pop bands. This one made available by a blogger named Spavid over at Willfully Obscure. I had no idea he made it available again after I requested. Honestly, I didn’t know people were still blogging. Heaven knows I basically gave that up once Facebook took up that space, which is a shame because it was so liberating. Like having your own little magazine. At one point I was trying to operate 3-5 blogs at the same time. That was dumb. I recently went back and looked at the early pages of one. It was a bunch of pics and videos of my kids that I had forgotten. That was cool.
My son managed to somehow look me up on the webz and find the blog I wrote about him being in the NICU when he was born. THAT was a conversation. He’s 9. Inquisitive little bastard. 
This album is absolutely not terrible. It’s littered with forgettable angular New Wave programmers. The kind of stuff you would hear wayyyyy left of the dial at 1 AM on a Tuesday. Unhateable. But not really all that adorable. It hews closer to Greg Kihn/Tommy Tutone than the really delicious PP bands of the era. Considering they are from just outside Boston it’s no surprise how much like The Cars “Tropical Fish” & “Lies” sound, the latter you could tell me it was a Cars song and I would have no reason to not believe you. 

No comments: