Friday, May 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - 'Til Tuesday - Voices Carry

'Til Tuesday - Voices Carry


#123
April 15 1985
’Til Tuesday
Voices Carry
3 out of 5


Highlights:
Love in a Vacuum


Has there ever been a more New Wave named band than ’Til Tuesday? I think not. And, I admit, I’ve never heard anything more than that first single. I’ll rectify that now. 
And it is very New Wave. But with the angular edges softened. They’re still there, but it’s not harsh or jagged, the way the Cars often seem to be. In fact, I’m reminded of how Neil Finn took those edges off Split Enz and came up with Crowded House, which this reminds me of, for some reason.
However, at it’s best it’s fine New Wave (“Voices Carry”) or subdued Go-Go’s (“Maybe Monday”) or a fairly on-target Bangles impression (“Sleep”) and at it’s worse it’s bad Madonna (“Winning the War”) or pale attempts at Kate Bush doing a Cyndi Lauper song (“You Know the Rest”).
It’s really just a meh record at best. And the only reason anyone remembers “Voices Carry” is because of that video. Otherwise…meh. 



No comments: