Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Meat Puppets - Up On the Sun

Meat Puppets - Up On the Sun


#79
March 21 1985
Meat Puppets
Up on the Sun
Genre: Alternative
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Up on the Sun
Maiden’s Milk
Swimming Ground
Too Real
Two Rivers

Screw Nirvana. Kurt Cobain so obviously worshipped at the altar of Chris Kirkwood. 
This album is loose and fun, with the wind of psychedelia at their backs and post-punk in their rearview this is a gem. 
The band’s tightness not only supersedes the weak, almost incompetent singing but is enhanced by it. AND because they are so tight and assured I find the warbling endearing. Like more a musical instrument than a vocal.
Two Rivers is so hypnotically beautiful in a way that I didn’t expect that I had to just listen to it again to be sure I loved it as much as I did. 
This is not post-punk. This is alt-country. At least, as close as you can get to that. How this became the influence for grunge is beyond me…

I think I like this even more than Meat Puppets II


No comments: