Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Rick Springfield - tao

Rick Springfield - Tao


#88
March 27 1985
Rick Springfield 
Tao
Genre: Pop Rock
2.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Walking on the Edge


Somehow I managed to miss this album. And, as you know, I love Rick. So that’s weird. I mean, I know the record exists, I just never bothered to listen to it. 
I don’t really know what Rick is doing. I mean, I do. He’s writing songs the way he knows how. But he’s also really doubling down on the bass/drum sound that makes it he’s closer to dance rock. That drags everything down, IMO. And so do the synths. 
I know that Rick suffers from sometimes debilitating depression. This album feels like he’s trying to work it out in his songs but doesn’t trust his own musicianship. He’ll get closer to that about 20 years later on the hard to find shock/denial/anger/acceptance record.
This is Rick in the weeds. He’ll recover. But it’ll take a while.


No comments: