Friday, May 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Overkill - Feel the Fire

Overkill - Feel the Fire


#121
April 15 1985
Overkill
Feel the Fire
Genre: Thrash Metal
3 out of 5

Highlights:
Feel the Fire



The problem with speed metal is that none of it really diverges from another. They all sound the same after a while. Machine gun drumming. Hyper rhythm guitar strumming. Supersonic fingers. 
Truly, this is the amping up and merging of Johnny Ramone’s strumming, Eddie Van Halen’s soloing & Bruce Dickenson’s vocals. 
I think that pretty much surmises the genre. For many bands, just add some devil worship.
Weirdly, it doesn’t sound dated to me. Like this album doesn’t sound like it was made 34 years ago. And I can’t put my finger on why. Is it that this genre hasn’t really changed much in 3+ decades? Is it that, if you remove echo and satan worship you strip it of it’s era defining characteristics and it becomes…timeless? 
I don’t know. 
Is it weird that my favorite track is the most Satan-y? 

No comments: