Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - David J - Crocodile Tears and the Velvet Cosh

David J - Crocodile Tears and the Velvet Cosh


#92
March 1985
David J
Crocodile Tears and the Velvet Cosh
4.25 out of 5
Genre: Indie/Alternative

Highlights:
Too Clever by Half
Stop this City
Justine


The “Velvet” part is spot on. Somehow, someway, David J has managed his way through some depression to find his inner Lou Reed and turn him into a subway busker. This sounds less like Bauhaus and more like Love & Rockets and that makes me oh so happy. The seminal sound that would culminate in one of my favorite records of the decade seems to have its genesis here. I didn’t think David was capable of this. 
Maybe he got therapy. Maybe he just listened to Songs from the Big Chair and decided, fuck it, life’s too short. 
If you told me that “Stop This City” was considered for a place on a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack, I would not disbelieve you.
There are elements of coffee shop troubadour, twee, the aforementioned busking. It’s a gentle record (check out “Justine” and tell me that this is the David J you remember) and almost hypnotic. I’m not sure if that’s because my expectations were one thing and this is another but, regardless, I really liked this. A lot. 


No comments: