Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Paul Young - The Secret of Association

Paul Young - The Secret of Association


#84
March 25 1985
Paul Young
The Secret of Association
Genre: Blue Eyed Soul
2.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Every Time You Go Away

“Every Time You Go Away” is The “I don’t wanna know what love is” of 85. Yes, I know it’s a cover of a Daryl Hall song that H&O already released a couple years before but, see what happened right there? I wrote the title. You read the title and blammo, the song is in your head. And now you have to go wash it out with a different earworm. 
Good luck. 
I have to wonder, as I did with the last Paul Young album and those of so many other vocalists…did American Idol take over this lane? I don’t know enough about the white boy soul genre but it seems to me like 17 years later, Elliot Yamin would be shooting for this exact position. 
One really should listen to Paul’s version of “Soldier’s Things” and then go RIGHT to Tom Waits’ version, if you want a reason to hate Paul Young more. 
The second half of the album is mostly co-wrtten by Paul. Which means competent tracks that fit his style and voice and are impeccably dull. 

No comments: