Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Connells - Darker Days

The Connells - Darker Days


#98
1985 Housekeeping
The Connells
Darker Days
Genre: Jangle Pop/Dream Rock
4.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Hats Off
Seven


When I moved to LA The Connells had a big hit (to us) called “Scotty’s Lament”. My roommate and I loved that. He had the cassette. But I never really investigated the band beyond that song.
I certainly didn’t know they had a first album. I don’t know if this is “Jangle Pop” or “Alternative” or how to classify it but it’s definitely the sound of a changing decade. Whatever we thought was “80s” is, more and more, defined by 1979ish -1984. As the sound morphs into the decade of REM I really hear the 90s on the horizon. 
Before Green Day I’d never heard an American lead singer try SO hard to sound English. Still don’t mind that a bit.
It’s like a folk album influenced by The Byrds and a whole host of 80s British bands. 
I love it. 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyQOWS4NaJo&list=PL6voaEZdRMBLS-GwQyXQIW7S4u8TvGKIt

No comments: