Friday, May 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day

Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day


#124
April 22 1985
Prince and the Revolution
Around the World in a Day
Genre: Pop Rock
2.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Paisley Park


Yes. I know. This isn’t “rock”. But it’s Prince and, in light of Purple Rain I feel like we have to give this a spin. Most likely we won’t revisit him as he goes far astray of our mission statement in the future. But, this one is like his Sgt. Pepper, yes?

I have a very distinct memory of this record’s release, with it’s Peter Max-ian cover and the surreal sounds contained within. I never heard it. But my manager at the video store where I worked bought it immediately.
And he was just as immediately disappointed. 
For good reason. This is not a good record. The ideas are half baked (“Trampoline”). Some are downright turgid (“Condition of the Heart”). And the hit songs are not as good as I remembered, if they ever were. 


No comments: