Sunday, May 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Thor - Only the Strong


Thor - Only the Strong


#111
April
Thor 
Only the Strong
Genre: Heavy Metal
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
When the Gods Collide


True story. 
John Seven and I went to CBGB to see Spinal Tap play their first ever live show before their SNL appearance. 
It was packed. 
I remember the show. 
I don’t remember the giant dude who banged into a John on the crowded floor. 
That man, apparently, was Thor. 
There is a terrific documentary about this guy. 
I wish the music was up to the rep. 
Suffering from 80s hyper-echo, Thor’s vocals are too far down in the mix of mediocre Hair/Hell Metal. 
Oh, what could have been. 

I have a lot of affection for the sheer dumb rockness of “Now Comes the Storm” and “Thunder on the Tundra”. It’s definitely more fun that most of Twisted Sister’s offerings. 
It’s an even record and not 100% inspiring. But I’m glad I finally heard it. 


No comments: