Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Southern Culture on the Skids - First Album

Southern Culture on the Skids - First Album


#150
1985 Housekeeping
Southern Culture on the Skids
First Album
Genre: Psycho-Billy
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Primitive Guy
Psycho Surfing

I don’t really know much about these guys. I was sent an album of theirs about a decade ago and it wasn’t really my thing.
This is more psychobilly than I expected. Super lo-fi. I like it 50X more than The Fleshtones and more than The Cramps, which I know, I know…sacrilege to somebody. 
If this was produced better I bet it’s terrific. As it is it sounds like the soundtrack to an Alex Cox movie. 
It should be noted that, not only do SCOTS not record another album for 6 years, this one is not available for purchase on their website. 
What was going on in 1985 that resulted in the debuts of SCOTS and Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, who all traffic in the same lunkheaded stripped down rockabilly lunacy? That and the Scorchers/Justice nexus tells me that something was going on in country rock that will explode soon enough.



No comments: