Monday, May 20, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Pendragon - The Jewel

Pendragon - The Jewel


#137
April 1985
Pendragon
The Jewel
Genre: Prog Rock
2.75 out of 5



There exists a sea of bands from the 70s and 80s and 90s that not only have I never heard of, relegated to the bargain bin at Amoeba, but also, while never making a mainstream dent of ANY kind, continue to play as a unit TODAY. 
Pendragon. I know that there are some Marillion loving members in this group whom I am sure have a Pendragon shirt in their closet. 
My question is: How? How does a very mediocre band, whose musicianship was not all that epic, with songs that are even less epic, stick around for 35 years?
The production is awful and the arrangements are a confused mess of medieval sci-fi. It’s a shame because you can hear what they want to be on tracks like “Leviathan”, which is, well, they want to be Yes. 
There are so many of these bands…like Pallas…and, ugh, others, I can’t remember. And this is one of them. 

I know this isn’t really my bag but, if it’s great I can get behind a bit of it. I gave Planet P a 3.5, didn’t I? 
If these guys get better, let me know. But, based on this, I wouldn’t be running out to buy a Pendragon shirt. 


No comments: