Friday, May 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Lone Justice - Lone Justice

Lone Justice - Lone Justice


#127
April 25 1985
Lone Justice
Lone Justice
Genre: Alt Country/Cow Punk
4.75 out of 5 (I could be convinced to go up to 5, though)



Highlights:
East of Eden
After the Flood
Don’t Toss Us Away
Working Late
Pass It On
You Are the Light


In 1986 I heard that William Shatner, the success of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, at his sails, would be hosting Saturday Night Live. Susan Forrestal, Lorne Michaels ex-wife, was a customer at the video store where I worked and she procured me tickets for that show. 
I sat in the front row. My hair was bleached white. Shatner tripped on my knee as he raced to the “Get a Life” sketch on the stage to my left. 
There are many moments from that night etched into my brain. 
The difficulty in seeing any sketches because of our seats, which were great for the monologue, the news and…the musical act.
The guest that night was Lone Justice. 
Here’s the weird part: I LOVED their performance and I fell crush over heels for Maria McKee. I loved everything about her, her looks, her explosive energy, her stage presence, her voice…even her wardrobe choices (which look more like the coming tide of 90s thrift store than 80s bangles and underwear) and yet…I never listened to her music. Never bought a Lone Justice record. Never gave them an ounce of support. 
But that night, for those two songs, I became a rabid Lone Justice Fan. 
There is a lot to love on this record and I imagine they would’ve made a fine bill with Jason and the Scorchers. In a way I even like this better than that magical record. 
Why wasn’t Lone Justice bigger? 
Probably because there were a lot of idiots like me who fell in love with Maria McKee as long as she was right in front of our faces but, for some reason, we never pursued her further. 
My loss. This record is terrific. 



Here is the performance that made me fall for Maria McKee. For one night. 

No comments: