Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Listening Post: Purple Sabbath - Ozzy Osbourne - Scream


Ozzy Osbourne - Scream - 2010

This is, I believe, the 63rd review in this series. I've never tried anything like this. I can't believe I got through it. And thanks to everyone who helped (you know who you are).

We traveled the journey of Heavy Metal by way of the primary architects. Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. And we've come to the end.

At the age of 62, Ozzy Osbourne is the latest, perhaps the last, of these titans of thunder rock to release new material. His album from last year is called Scream. Let's listen.

1. Let it Die - Very different from Ozzy. His voice is hyper processed, singing in his low, almost talk-y register, overdubbed with gutteral screams. I like this side of him. Kevin Churko is back as producer and Gus G., a young Greek guitarist takes over for Zakk Wylde. His sound is more muted, more...Avenged Sevenfold? I'm only aware of them through Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Maybe it's Lamb of God (thanks, allmusic!) This song is murderous. I dig it.
2. Let Me Hear You Scream - I like to listen to metal LOUD. I've got my noise canceling headphones on and I got lost in the drone of the opening track. And then this exploded and really woke me the fuck up. Kind of like Andrew W.K. with purpose. If that's even possible. Makes sense to me.....
3. Soul Sucker - The original title for the album. A mediocre, sludge metal placeholder that picks up the pace and goes for the jugular. That's what a lot this reminds me of, like the kids who adored Painkiller decided to make a giant metal album with Ozzy.
4. Life Won't Wait - A mid-tempo acoustic piece married to metal. A kick drum that is begging to be played on an enormous stage, then the song takes left turns on the bridge and stays relatively unexpected. Alternately pretty and aggro. The melody is pretty great, too. Nice.
5. Digging Me Down - Trippy, psychedelic opening with a neat little acoustic filagree. But you know that's not gonna last...and it doesn't. By minute 2 the guitar triplet stroke attack acts like an auger complimenting the one thing that Ozzy has that Dio and Iommi could never get their hands around. Melody. Ozzy just knows what to do with his voice and how to write a song you kind of want to listen to.
6. Crucify - Typical, "irreverent" doom metal. But it doesn't last that long because it's about to crash into:
7. Fearless - This song, with it's driving devil horn, head bang attack could easily have fit in on Blizzard and Gus does his best to impersonate Randy every once in a while with a finger tap flourish, only to dive back into the mosh pit and crush the eardrums. My favorite song so far.
8. Time - Oooh, what's that? Amidst the pulsating bass and the giant drums? Can it be Beach Boys-style backing "oohs"? Yes. Is this a ready made mid-concert flame raiser? Sure. Every Ozzy album's got one. He knows that you gotta sway every once in a while. But, this song just keeps building, the chorus belies the premise. It's not pretty. It's enormous. Calling to mind the '00 Everclear album, Learning How To Smile.
9. I Want More - More cruch. More licks. More chukka chukka. More worms boring into my skull. Works for me.
10. Latimer's Mercy - The album comes full circle as the down tuning, low register, softening keys, swirl together to give a 62 year old man a sense of relevance and urgency.
11. I Love You All - A coda. An ode to Lennon in spirit. A song of gratitude. Nice to know you appreciate your fans, Oz. Well done.

Obviously, Gus G. and new drummer Tommy Clufetos are loaded for bear, they've got a lot to prove and they're up to the task. Brand Ozzy is smart to put their musical future in the hands of these guys. Ozzy sounds like he could tour in the 21st century metal world and not resort to becoming an oldies act. How he's managed this is grist for some book. My money's on Sharon.
I look forward to more from Ozz.

And with that, the Purple Sabbath journey has come to an end.

Grade: A-
ASide: Let it Die, Let Me Hear You Scream, Fearless
BlindSide: Life Won't Wait, Time

No comments: