Monday, March 14, 2011

Listening Post: Purple Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know


Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know - 2009

THe opening track, "Atom and Evil" (ugh, are these guys 15?) has the pace of a funeral processional. Almost as if the band is trying to instill depression. It's not fun.
Heaven and Hell are the holy/unholy marriage of Dio and Sabbath. 2 parts Dio (Ronnie and drummer Appice), 2 parts Sab (Iommi, Butler). I'm not sure how this even came to be, but I had to include it, even though it meant I would have to listen to Dio's overblown vocal theatrics and uninspired dungeons and dragons lyrics. I really wish it had opened with the big riffs of "Fear" a much more doomtastic track.
After that, it's one same sounding lurching dark metal track after another.
Dio died before they could record another one. I'm not happy he died. But...
I'm not a fan of H&H.

Grade: C-
ASide:
BlindSide: Fear

No comments: