Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Listening Post: Purple Sabbath - Deep Purple - Slaves and Masters



Deep Purple - Slaves and Masters - 1990

I'm so tired. It's not because of a new baby or life or work. It's because of the chore I have set out for myself. When it can be quickly become invigorated by, say, the resurgence to greatness by Black Sabbath on The Eternal Idol or Headless Cross, my disposition can just as quickly turn to despondence by listening (or forcing myself to listen to) whatever Deep Purple has turned themselves into.
Basically, they are Foreigner. Without the hooks.
From the very beginning they just sound out of date. 10 years out of date. And I don't know why. I mean, I know why. It's because they sound like a Foreigner influenced band 10 years after Foreigner mattered. What I don't know is why they turned away from their teeth, the razor sounds of Ritchie Blackmore vs Jon Lord and turned themselves into this. Except that I always felt like Purple was above the fray. Like they believed themselves to be "important" musicians. Akin to Genesis, pre-Collins.
No matter. If you like watered down prog-rock or were wishing for another Foreigner record, this is for you.
If not, skip it.

ASide: Fire in the Basement
BlindSide: Wicked Ways
DownSide: Love Conquers All (Holy Treacly Hell)

No comments: