Sunday, March 13, 2011

Listening Post: Purple Sabbath - Dio - Angry Machines


Dio - Angry Machines - 1996

Dio left Warner Brothers. Or he was dropped. I don't know. I don't really care.

This album seems to double down on the core. These aren't songs, per se, as much as they are exercises in dark, metallic, apocalyptic constructs.
Ho hum. Been here, heard it. ("Sometimes I think I need NEW PARTS FOR MY BRAIN!!!!" - Dio lyric from Institutional Man)
All over this record, Dio seems to have instructed his band to listen to modern metal of the era, perhaps Korn, and try their best to copy it. This results in big, bass heavy almost math metal of "Hunter of the Heart" and the dyslexic backbeats of "Black" and the obnoxious "Stay Out of My Mind", a "song" that, quite literally, sounds like everybody involved was working on something else.
Like Whitesnake, I don't think I need to hear any more of Ronnie James Dio. I get it.

I've listened so you don't have to.

You're welcome

Grade: D-
ASide:
BlindSide:
DownSide:

No comments: