Monday, March 7, 2011

Listening Post: Purple Sabbath - Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol



Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol - 1987

I do not like this new vocalist. Tony Martin sounds like a cross between Rob Halford and David Coverdale, incorporating the worst of both singers. Maybe he'll grow on me. I dunno.
The opening track, The Shining is certainly the most epic the band has sounded in ages. But, let's be real, it's just Tony Iommi and Geoff Nichols at this point. Sabbath is a brand and the brand must soldier on. The album is darker than anything Iommi has been able to put out in ages. I can't recall when the songs sounded this...full of foreboding. "Ancient Warrior" is easily the most ominous Sabbath has sounded since...Heaven and Hell? But for some reason it calls to mind the sound of the band around Sabotage for me. Weird, since Martin has a more Dio-esque voice.
Whatever mojo Iommi lost has certainly returned. He's finding riffs and licks that I didn't think were in him anymore. "Hard Life to Love" is one of the most enigmatic and sexy riffs I've heard from him. The rest of the band does a superb job of backing him up, even the vocals, but let's face it, the lead guitar's the star. It's relentless, this spin. Murderous riffs. Solid production. A real return to form.
Good to have you back, Sab.

Grade: A
ASide: The Shining, Eternal Idol
BlindSide: Ancient Warrior, Hard Life to Love, Born to Lose

If I am counting correctly, this is review number 413 in the entire Listening Post/Reflecting Pool/DoubleShot series.

No comments: