Thursday, July 15, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Scars - Author! Author!

Scars - Author! Author! #140 1981 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY Scars Author! Author! Genre: Tribal Post-Punk 4.75 out of 5 Highlights: Leave Me in Autumn Fear of the Dark David Je t'aime c'est la mort (I Love You It's Death) I know I’ve said this many times before but, after 3000 reviews I’m bound to repeat myself: One of the most delicious discoveries of this project is my love for post-punk. I had no real idea how this genre would resonate with me. From The Pop Group’s first record to the more mainstream of Joy Division and even the dynamic but difficult early Chumbawumba. When it’s done right (and that is purely subjective) it’s pummeling but invigorating like a the effects of a cup of homemade Bulletproof coffee. That’s this record. It’s all there: the coming wave of alternative as spun by the likes of U2 but harsh and original. And this group, from Scotland, disappeared. This is their only record. But, what a spin it is. Note: I really could have just highlighted the whole album but I would be remiss if I didn’t call attention to “Your Attention Please”, a spoken word mind bender set to a poem by Peter Porter. For me it is a pure depiction of the terror and paranoia of living in the 80s, when the world always felt like it was on the brink of war. I really wonder what these guys might have done if they continued. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NHKfweGcY

No comments: