Thursday, July 15, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Joe Ely - Musta Notta Gotta Lotta

Joe Ely - Musta Notta Gotta Lotta #130 April 10 1981 Joe Ely Musta Notta Gotta Lotta Genre: Rockabilly 3.5 out of 5 Is Eel-y or E-lie? Anyone? Thanks in advance. It’s very possible, not likely but not 0% chance, that I avoided this guy because of how to pronounce his last name. Yes, I am that stupid. There are guys, like Dave Edmunds and Joe Ely for whom 1955 never ended. And I guess that’s fine but, in Ely’s case I listen to that title track and all I hear is an interpolation of “Great Balls of Fire”. Why not just play that and solo like a mad man all over it? Oh, I know. Money. Delicious, delicious royalties. Well, I think Ely would have sold more if he DID cover Jerry Lee instead of just ripping him. All that said, these are just well made rock and roll songs. Nearly charming, even though Joe isn’t, try as he might. https://music.apple.com/us/album/musta-notta-gotta-lotta/1445662176

No comments: