Saturday, July 17, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Alabama - Feels So Right

 Alabama - Feels So Right


#160

By Jed Francese

February 1981

Alabama

Feels So Right

Genre: Why are we covering Alabama…?

Allen’s Rating: 2 out of 5

Jed’s Rating - 3.8 out of 5



Highlights:

I’m Stoned

Love in the First Degree

Hollywood

Feels So Right

Second Review! Why a second Gulp?


Well, my love of music backstory was in the last review - which was The Blasters record from this same year. Yeah - not such similar bands. But…..maybe kinda not? Hear me out…music is in the ear of the creature. I’ve learned in my hobbyist musician journey to appreciate levels of musicianship & talent. That came first & then - I think arrangements & melody appreciation came next. Well, Alabama has that in spades & I haven’t listened to them enough probably. I would have tuned this record out when I was young faster than my 9 year old tunes out anything that isn’t on TikTok. But isn’t that what’s great about music? Shit changes man. Tastes & appreciation.


I won’t say I loved this record but I listened to it twice so I obviously didn’t dislike it. Hell, Imma listen again for harmony lessons & those cool ass bass lines for sure.


In my first review I said we’re supposed to name genre & I don’t remember exactly what I wrote but paraphrased it was something along the lines of, “fuck genre”. That’s my opinion. This would be called a country record I think first. Maybe a southern rock and then bluegrass and it may even be able to be called an early entry to the “new pop country” that I frankly hate - but mostly just because there are a lot of weak lyrics on this record. Don’t listen to this for the poet. Or poets. I don’t know them well enough to know but…yeah, no.


I did think it was cool to see that the original members are related. It’s like 1981 Hanson!


Now, the songs - The highlights? Definitley the singles & good thing because there are three #1’s on this record. Holy What? But I think my favorite of the #1’s is Love in the First Degree. The snare sounds like shit but it reminds me of a song my mom would have loved off an Air Supply record (which will be my third review). And everything else is pretty great to be honest. I mean, if it isn’t your bag you’ll hate it but - it’s beautiful & the bass player again - is master class. There’s just something about a mom jeans pop song that can groove like this will always hit me in the feels.


I have to admit - I wish I wrote, “I’m Stoned”. That’s always my favorite judge of a song I’ll love forever. If I wish I wrote it. It’s got snark, it’s got addiction, and it’s got the SAPPY. How’s that for a decent batch of ingredients? I may even play with my own goofy cover of that one.


I really didn’t like Fantasy. UGH. It’s like they were playing with a disco feel? So to be fair, I lied earlier in the review. I didn’t listen to that song twice….more like 1 & 1/4 times. That was enough. You guys may sing as well as the Bee Gees but it’s rare there’s a record that doesn’t have a song I flatly hate on it.


Back to me. I didn’t (& won’t) listen to Feels So Right nearly as often as I have (& will) the Blasters but…that’s ok. To each their own. The production on the record is really quite great, & it won’t be the last time I listen to say, half of it? 


https://open.spotify.com/album/192mPxOusrkZyXmCdKdUJS?si=eqrv8Vx4Rge-Cmv0F6GcVg


No comments: