Saturday, July 17, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Gordons - The Gordons

 The Gordons - The Gordons 


#149

1981 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

The Gordons

The Gordons

Genre: Indie/Alternative

4.5 out of 5



Highlights:

Spik and Span

Right On Time

Sometimes



The Dunedin scene in Australia has given us a handful of really interesting bands over the span of this project. Here’s another one. A group you’ve never heard but, if you played this record to any mid-00s hipster and said that they opened for The Hold Steady, you would believe it. 

One listen to “Spik and Span” and you’ll hear it. Imagine if Sonic Youth and Tad Kubler & Craig Finn got together to make a record. 

It’s crazy to me that this record is from 1981. I could hear this played on 120 Minutes, easy. And then on college radio throughout the 90s.

I feel the same way with this record as I did with B.O.L.T. Like I’m discovering a new world of music that others were privy to and now I’ve been allowed into a club. 

Thurston Moore had this record in his collection, he HAD to. There’s no way this came out two years before Confusion is Sex and is in the same wheelhouse only wipes the floor with that record. Impossible. I refuse to believe that the Youth gang never heard this. 

“Right on Time” left me breathless and I didn’t want it to end. And it’s EIGHT freaking minutes long!
This album is 10 years ahead of its time. An electric debut. 




https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-gordons-1st-album-future-shock-ep/952497121

No comments: