Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Models - Local and/or General

 Models - Local and/or General


#566

October 1981

Models

Local and/or General

Genre: New Wave

2.25 out of 5




Requisite 80s cover: I listless version of “Telstar” that just makes me want to hear the original. It’s a little over-lush. And also growly for some reason. Meh.


You know how there are records that you absolutely loved from an era and then, for some reason, just forgot that they existed and when they came back into your life you recalled just how much you loved them and can’t believe they faded out of your life? 

For me that’s a band called Buck-O-Nine, a ska band from the 90s whose song, “My Town” was on constant play on my 10 CD changed in my Mazda Miata in the lat 90s. 

Then, one day, put the CD in the binder and forgot about it. 

Until 2 weeks ago when my son played a ska song he liked and I opened a Ska Essentials playlist on Apple Music and that song came on. 

It’s back in constant rotation. Along with “Round Kid”.


I’m sure there are people in Australia who grew up in the 80s and had this record by Models and absolutely loved one or two tracks on it. And then they never ever listened to it again and forgot that this group even existed. 


And maybe, somehow, their kid came in and wanted them to hear some song by an Australian rock band they never heard of so the sought out an “Rock from Oz” deep tracks playlist and “Local and/or General” came on and they were transported back to their youth. 


And then, like all things of this ilk, they promptly forgot about them again.


Then they died. 


Points off for missing tracks and only live versions available. Too bad, it might rank higher


Since the purpose of the Listening Post project was to determine if I missed something back in the day or not I will be introducing a new feature: Missed? 


Missed: Nah. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5te9qSwP5E&list=PLlvn8uktX5LtzPjUt79ymewVNQBUEuRo2

No comments: