Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Men at Work - Business As Usual

 Men at Work - Business As Usual



#547

By Christopher Loff

November 9 1981

Men at Work

Business As Usual

Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Christopher’s Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

Alternative Rock / New Wave


Highlights:

Who Can It be Now?

Down Under

Underground

Helpless Automaton

Be Good Johnny



Preface:

I asked to review this album in early November and was super excited to write up an album since music 

is essentially the core of my happiness. Then my brain got involved and I became terrified of the actual 

work and whether or not, I could do an album I know of more than I actually know, justice. So I put off 

and put off writing this album up. Luckily procrastination suits me well and writing this up on NYE feels 

right for me. I purchased this album on vinyl, used, at Record City sometime prior to 2000 when you 

could get LPs for a couple dollars and pretty sure I payed a whole $1 for this album. I played it once or 

twice and that was it. Fast forward 20+ years and my hetero-lifemate Jed turns me onto this page and I 

immediately search for an album to review thinking it had to be an album I had on vinyl. I was excited to 

see this gem was not reserved. So hear I am almost 2 months later drinking an Irish coffee listening to 

the album again.


Review:

Initially, I put the record on for the first time in over 2 decades and pour a whiskey. I listened to it that 

night in November and just dug it! It’s a fun album! Fun sounds generic but there is no song that brings 

up sad emotions for me. Every song is that sound that is unique to the time it was made. Granted other 

bands were doing similar stuff like The Police, Flock of Seagulls, Dire Straits, INXS and even U2 

but these dudes brought something special to this album. 

There are a ton of instruments you hear on this album that you never hear in popular music and it works well! My only issue with the album is I have trouble 

understanding the lyrics which could be from their accent or could be the fact that working on Aircraft in

the Navy jacked my hearing all up. Nevertheless, even what I don’t understand is compensated for by 

memorable choruses that anyone can sing along to. Also, I feel like this is a Summer album, meaning it 

just plays better in the warm weather preferably by the pool or at the lake. It’s an album that is great 

background for a playful outdoor day in my opinion.


Notable songs:

“Who Can It Be Now?” – before I bought this album, I really thought that Flock of Seagulls sang this 

tune. So, when I purchased this record simply because I loved “Down Under,” I was pleasantly surprised 

that I knew the first track on Side A. This tune is magnificent! I love the sax on this song and the chorus is 

just plain catchy and something that could only have been made in the early 80’s. This song reminds me 

of The Police’s “Walking on the Moon”. According to Wikipedia this song only reached #2 in Australia

but hit #1 in the US, which is impressive but not surprising as most Americans tend to love Australians. 

“Down Under” – I purchased this album because of this tune. I absolutely love the vibe of this song and 

one day when I visit Austrailia I will play the shit out of this song while I’m there! I may even eat a 

Vegamite sandwich? This is also one of those songs that I feel you, yes you reading this, have a memory attached to this song and I bet it is a good one at that! Apparently, the band was sued because it infringed on the copywrite of a kids tune and the band had to pay 5% royalties because of it. I listened to the song they supposedly stole from, “Kookaburra”, and I don’t hear it. Maybe it’s my compromised hearing? 


“Down By The Sea” – Probably the most mellow track on the album. There is something ethereal about 

this tune, but it is so well produced and beautiful it may be my favorite song by the band. It also reminds 

me of Toad The Wet Sprocket’s “I Will Not Take These Things For Granted” which is such a beautiful 

song. This is a love song for sure, but not a young love, a matured love that is full of appreciation and 

understanding which may be why this song stands out to me now at 41 when it didn’t register 20 years 

ago.


https://open.spotify.com/album/4HDJMKkwAMVFewqfZcmf84?si=9LZEucPsRoSCNIPuDFa8Bw

No comments: