Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Meteors - In Heaven

The Meteors - In Heaven


#551

November 25 1981

The Meteors

In Heaven

Genre: Psychobilly


Highlights:

Earwigs in My Brain



This album opens with a cover. And you know how I feel about that.

Thing is, that cover is also live and you KNOW how I feel about that. 

Thing Thing is…that cover is “In Heaven” by Peter Ivers and David Lynch and if you know know how I feel about that, I FUCKING LOVE THAT!!


Eraserhead, from which the song comes, is one of my top 10 films of all time. So, good job guys. 

But there’s also “Get Off My Cloud” and it’s boring. 


From there it’s a muddled mess of poorly produced wannabe psychobilly. But…the thing thing thing is…this, according to cursory research, is the first time the term “psychobilly” was used to describe an album. And, if I’m really not mistaken, this band used the term to describe themselves. 

And what it sounds like is standard Cramps-esque rockabilly but with a gravelly voiced crazy person at the helm. He’s the psycho, they’re the billy.


Um…yay?


I really wish the whole thing was a whole lot better.


Thing thing thing thing is…


It’s not. 






https://open.spotify.com/album/30BVv0lFidc52hnkJvwMqS?si=3iUkuPObTbm-7AOPsk9Q7g

No comments: