Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Durutti Column - LC

The Durutti Column - LC 



#533

November 1 1981

The Durutti Column

LC

Genre: SynthWave

2.75 out of 5




Highlights:

Sketch for Dawn (I)




From jump the first thing that comes to mind is, what if you merged The Cure with Adam Ant? The tribal rhythms and moody everything else really jumps out and I’m filled with hope for a record I have been dreading. I so loathed that first one, you know?

From there we get exercises in soundscaping. Brian Eno has said that this is favorite record and I can see that. There are places where Brian and I agree and places where we vehemently do not. This is one of those. 

Don’t get me wrong, there is some excellent stuff going on here, especially for the Ambient crowd (though it’s more than ambient music). I would point you to the “Sketches” for references to determine if this is for you.

I swear I’ve heard “The Act Committed” in a Uniqlo.

In the end that’s where this music belongs: In a salon.




https://music.apple.com/us/album/lc/1322069918

No comments: