Friday, September 5, 2008

Obama's Headquarters in LA





I received an email the other day from the Obama camp that the HQ in LA was finally opening. I didn't RSVP, though, because I wasn't exactly sure I would be able to go. I mean, I knew I COULD go, the question is whether or not I would just crap out and not do it in favor of sitting around the house and playing Rock Band.
Beth took Zoe to a Mom's club meeting and I had no reason to not go. So, I hopped on the motorcycle and headed into West LA.
If you were anywhere near Motor in West LA then you were stuck in a mad crush. Traffic was at a near standstill. ABC's newsvan was in a red zone.
I parked a few blocks over (very smart to take the bike) and walked. As I did I was joined by more and more people, one wearing an Obama t-shirt where Barack is opening his shirt like he's Superman. Others were festooned with pins and buttons.
The line wasn't THAT long when i got there, but I was right on time.
After a bit of time on the line where I was pontificating my Dem v Gop theory (I will put it here soon) the line started to move.
The volunteers brought out volunteer sheets. Just the sheets.
"This guy has like 200 million bucks and he can't afford a clipboard???" Some asshole remarked.
Oh, yeah, that was me.

Suddenly word came out that we were moving. Slowly, people started coming out of the building and we were told to follow.
We ended up in a parking lot behind the building because only 150 people rsvp'd and 750 showed up.
Eric Garcetti was inspiring.


Mark Ridley Thomas was powerful.


The crowd was energized.


The COMMUNITY ORGANIZER that is in charge of California came out and told us what we can do:
One job is to go to Nevada from now to November 4th, unpaid, with room and some board provided and work directly under the head staff out there to rally Nevada. Cool! I wish I could do it....damn you, Zoe.....
The others are weekend Nevada blasts, buses and cars to go there for the weekend and do the same thing...maybe...
And there's Obama Camp. A two day experience where they teach us how to be....community organizers. Yeah, that's the ticket.
As we funneled in to sign up I realized that just about 700 of the 750 people want to sign up. So I went home.
I'll go back today. I'll take Zoe. I'll sign up then.

Update: Yes, it should be noted that clipboards were eventually passed out. I'm sure initially no one was expecting the huge turnout.
You guys did a tremendous job.
Barack the Vote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there and it was nuts! I went back to my car to get a bunch of clipboards and sheets of paper to sign up volunteers...so there were clipboards, dude! :) Barack the Vote!
-Julie (volunteer coordinator)

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/9/2/128648963286436245.jpg

Allen Lulu said...

Yes, clipboards were had. I'm sure initially no one was expecting the huge turnout.
You guys did a tremendous job.
That said, I'm taking my daughter with me to sign up for stuff. Please let me know what I can do to participate.