Friday, September 26, 2008

Amateur Foodie: Toast - West Hollywood

We love Lulu's Cafe on Beverly. I think we started going there because of the the name (what's not to love?) but, after a lunch or two it has become a favorite spot of my wife and mine.
I always order the same thing, because invariably I am on some stupid diet or watching my carbs or something and I get the Paparazzi Salad. It's got the perfect balance of chicken and veggies, most notably Asparagus. I'm sure there's other good things on the menu but I never bite.
The owner of Lulu's mentioned to us that they own another restaurant down the street called "Toast". We have always wanted to eat there but the line is forbidding. The line is also a pain at Lulu's but it's closer to our house.

The other day I was actually looking for another place to eat after I found myself the victim of some scam (long story, father rolling in his grave sort of thing, I shan't be writing about it, too embarrassed). By happenstance I parked in front of the pretentiously named eatery.

After seating I looked up Toast on Yelp and decided to let a reviewer order for me: The Corner Wrap and Sweet Potato Fries. Seemed like it would hit the spot and I was on my way to the gym so I could work off those fries. It also helped that the waiter confirmed this to be one of the most popular dishes at the restaurant. Can't always trust those Yelpers, y'know....



Let's start with the Sweet Potato Fries. Yes. Nice. Crispy and delicate. As they melted in my mouth it occurred to me that it had NEVER occurred to me to make these things. And I should. I should eat them every day. While on the elliptical. And crying.
Now, the corner wrap is another story. It's not bad. It's not great. I like the avocado and I appreciate the masking tape that keeps the foodstuffs stuffed in there. Trouble is, the flatbread used for the wrap comes across, rather flimsily, as the sandwich is extricated from the paper.
There was a ranch-style dip but I didn't know if it was for the fries or the wrap and decided against asking since I was over my calorie-indulgent quota already and didn't need a cream sauce to add any more strides to my workout.
In sum:
It's a flavorful meal but it's not very practical and it made it impossible for me to really enjoy my multi-tasking. And isn't that what solo-lunching is all about? Eating while: researching agents, making calls, checking email and listening to Slate.com's political gabfest? Isn't it?
Okay, maybe not.
I'm gonna stick with the Paparazzi over at Lulu's. I like the name better anyways.

Actual soundtrack: Was there any? I can't remember
Suggested Soundtrack: I was listening to Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, but I think I just like the name. Spoon works.

No comments: