Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chowhound: The Gumbo Pot - The Fairfax Farmers Market



I have been going to the Farmers market for many years now. For lunch. For drinks. For meat. For produce. For karaoke.
And yet, although I have seen it, read the menu, been enticed by the promise of Po' Boy sandwiches and Beignets I have never eaten food from The Gumbo Pot.
Turns out, it's for good reason.
Service? Slow and arrogant and not very helpful. Even though there was no one behind me (It was a slow time) the woman taking my order still looked behind me as though she had other orders to take. I admit, I didn't know what I wanted but that only resulted in me saying, "What's the most popular item you sell?"
It's the Ya-ya Gumbo. A watery, salty distillation of uninteresting flavors. With Rice.

I've often found that New Orleans cuisine seems to have been designed for the toothless, and this is right in line with that philosophy but that doesn't explain the Creole Mustard Potato Salad having almost no flavor save for the slightest hint of spice at the tail end of each bite.
The beignets? Eh. Over fried, I would say. I have had better Zappolis.
There are so many better places to eat at the Farmers Market. Well, one or two. The Gumbo Pot is not one of them.

No music. None recommended.

No comments: