Sunday, August 24, 2008

Radiohead: Los Angeles 8/24



Truly an amazing show. Something about the music and this band in particular, with their dystopic sensibilities and desperation through post apocalyptic decay versions of humanity that really lends itself to Los Angeles. There is a disconnect here and the songs that Radiohead chose for the show fit that to a "t". Sadly, now there is the next day buyer's remorse and word comes out that tonight's show will contain more from The Bends and OK Computer.
But, let's just stay with this one.
I've read some comments where people say that the audience was lackluster. I give you that. In LA there is a very real attitude that screams, "Hey, monkeys, entertain me, I'm rich." I think that does happen. I think that's why Springsteen hates to perform here. I don't think the band gave out any more to make the audience participate any more than we already were. Look at the setlist below. It's not exactly sing-song round the campfire time with Radiohead.
Every song from In Rainbows was performed. Which is aswesome. The thing about In Rainbows is that when I listen to it I want to lay back and let the grooves and mood wash over me. Almost as though I'm listening to Jazz or Classical.
And there is a different response from Kid A, of which 1/4 of the show consisted. That album is like a rave concept album. When National Anthem (fucking sexy song, by the way) comes on, I want a glow stick. I want some E.
I thought the audience's response to Paranoid Android was fantastic. I think if there had been just one Fake Plastic Trees, or High and Dry or even Karma Police, you would have seen and heard the Hollywood Audience fill the air with their voices. It's just not the same to try to sing along to Videotape or All I Need or Morning Bell. Songs like that are meant to be washed over the crowd.
Now I am done speaking up for this audience because during one of my favorite pieces, "How to Disappear completely", a sad, desperate song that closes the show before the encore, the gaggle of hens behind me were talking, LOUDLY about dropping something that they concluded they would find when the lights came up. They weren't there because they love the band or the music, they were there because they know Creep and Karma Police. They were there for some hits and maybe they got a taste of it with There There, but I doubt it.
One thing I don't think you do during a Radiohead concert is talk during the songs. And there is a big difference between "What song is this? What album is this from" than "Oh, yeah, Gina called and was wondering if we are going to her place next weekend. I told her that we are going to drive up the coast......blah blah blah." Save that shit for Liars, the opening band. Who weren't bad but could have not been there and no one would have noticed.
All in all, it was a great show. I am glad that Beth was there and that there was so much from the only two albums that she really has ever heard. As I said, Kid A is one sexy mutherfucker. And I played In Rainbows a lot when it came out.
And she loved the show.
As did I.

The Setlist

1. 15 Step
2. There There
3. Morning Bell
4. All I Need
5. Pyramid Song
6. Nude
7. Arpeggi/Weird Fishees
8. The Gloaming
9. The National Anthem
10. Wolf at the Door
11. Faust Arp
12. Exit Music
13. Jigsaw Falling into Place
14. Idioteque
15. Climbing up the walls
16. Bodysnatchers
17. How to Disappear Completely

encore:

Videotape
Dollars and Cents
Paranoid Android
Street Spirit
Reckoner

2nd encore:

House of cards
Lucky
Everything In Its Right Place

No comments: