Saturday, August 30, 2008

listening Post: Van Halen - 3

When I was about 15 or 16 my best friend in the summer vacation town of Bar Harbor was a guy named Pete. I met him while we were both prep cooks at the town's greasy spoon. Pete was a metal guy all the way. Used to listen to Pantera before anyone knew who they were. He took me to see Ozzy at the Blizzard of Oz tour stop at the Bangor State Fair, (Randy Rhodes was 5 feet from me and a little band named Def Leppard was the opener). Pete also had a pair of pants tailor painted with white stripes to emulate Eddie Van Halen's guitar. While I was immersing myself in Queen, Pete was learning to shred. I never even gave the Pasadena boys a chance.
Let's remedy that now, shall we?




Van Halen - III - 1998 (Don't Buy it)

Everything you've imagined is true.
I can't get through it.
It's crazy bad.
Cherone sounds like he wishes he was in Queen and not even classic Queen. For some reason Gary is trying to make everything sound like Headlong off the Innuendo album.
The music is worse than generic. It's TRYING to be interesting and failing.
I wanted to be able to say that I made it all the way through but I stopped halfway through. "Dirty Water Dog" was the end for me.
You wanna try? I dare you.
It's just awful.
I want to forget it happened.

Grade F

1 comment:

leftwingloon said...

The worst album Van Halen ever did.