Sunday, August 10, 2008

My favorite meal, Jerk!

Today we had some friends over to break in the deck. Two couples, one that Beth met in improv class who have a 1 year old and another that was my friend across the hall freshman year at NYU that I reconnected through Facebook. They have an adorable 4 year old daughter named Molly.
It was a perfect afternoon. And I made a meal that has become my absolute favorite of the year.
Believe it or not, it was Aaron McCargo's signature meal for his pilot presentation on the Next Food Network Star. We didn't like Aaron, we think he's a terrible host and can barely speak, but his recipes are to die for.
His was a Jerk Rib Eye, I changed it to chicken and the only thing I altered was Molasses instead of honey because I don't have any honey. Doesn't make a difference.
Make this dish and your family will love you forever. It's amazing and delicious and frighteningly easy.

Jerk chicken with Honey Plantains on Collared Greens

1 (12-ounce) rib-eye steak (I used a bunch of boneless skinless breasts)
Jerk seasoning, recipe follows
Plantains, recipe follows
Collard Greens, recipe follows
Preheat grill or grill pan on high heat.
Rub jerk seasoning on steak. Place steak in a plastic bag to marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator. After marinating for 1 hour, remove steak from refrigerator and let sit for 15 minutes. Grill steak for 12 minutes (6 minutes on each side). Remove from grill with tongs and let rest for 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with plantains and collard greens.

Jerk seasoning:
1 tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients with 2 tablespoons of canola oil.

Plantains:
Canola oil
1 ripe plantain
4 ounces butter
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh scallions
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat a medium frying pan and coat with canola oil. Slice plantains on bias, then saute until brown. Mix in butter and scallions. Then remove from the heat. Stir in honey and parsley with a large spoon.

Collard greens:
12 ounces fresh collard greens, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup finely diced onion
Crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chicken stock
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Wash collard greens thoroughly. In a medium stock pot, place collards in hot water for 3 minutes, remove and drain.
In a large saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then add onions and crushed red pepper, saute. Then add collards and chicken stock to saute pan. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds good. I'd have to leave off the collards, though. But I love jerk marinade. I usually use one from allrecipes.com called Jay's Jerk Marinade.

Allen Lulu said...

No collards? Why?
I have to admit, this is from Aaron whatsisname from The Food Network Star. It was his last dish and I HAD to try it.
It's a success every single time.
I sub out the butter and use Smart Balance because I just don't want to die just yet.
It's damn good, though.
I will check the other one out.