Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Budgie - Nightflight

 Budgie - Nightflight


#504

October 1981

Budgie

Nightflight

Genre: Heavy Metal

3 out of 5



Highlights:

Don’t Lay Down and Die


I always got this band confused with the drummer for Siouxie. His name was Budgie, right? I also wondered, aloud, (to myself, often): why would either of them name themselves after a teeny little bird? Hardly seems as intimidating as the sounds they were proffering. 

Ah well. 

You know what this record reminds me of? Queen’s debut. It’s a decade past so, it’s sort of out of date but, it’s 2021 as I write this and nothing from 2011 sounds ancient to me. Is that the tyranny of time? Did music just get to a point where it’s impossible for anything less than a decade old to sound out of date? I mean, Imagine Dragons first album still pops up on modern playlists and that album is as old as Queen I was when Budgie’s record came out. 

Sigh. 

Time. You’re a bitch. 


All of this sounds like AC/DC meets RATT and they both just sort of half ass writing songs. In the end this feels like an update of psychedelic rock from the 60s than metal. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5Kc-2uJSw


No comments: