Monday, August 20, 2007

Rockin the ABC's

All the bloggie kids are doin it, so.....
Fave albums in alpha order. In this case, just what is on constant rotation on my ipod.

A- Green Day's American Idiot
Green Day restores rock as the sound of the day, a few hundred boybanders in matching sunglasses and t-shirts descend into reality show hell.



B- Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band's Born to Run
While The Thermals' The Body, the Blood and The Machine and The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in America made a strong stab at this slot, the was THE album of the decade. Destined for time capsules, I'm sure.




C- The Fratellis' Costello Music
Too much happiness on one record.



D- Queen's A Day at the races
This is the truly great Queen album. Always in the shadow of Night at the Opera, vastly better.




E. Squeeze's East Side Story
A friend of mine's friend once said that I embodied the song "In Quintessence". It was probably an insult, but I loved having a song that described me. It's perfect. Though I could do without "Woman's World".




F- The Boomtown Rats' The Fine Art of Surfacing
Working class rock masquerading as new wave. Haven't heard it in a while? Go get it. Much more than "I Don't Like Mondays"



(Runner up: Roger Taylor's Fun in Space - Superfun ego weirdness)



(Double Runner Up: Martin Briley's Fear of the Unknown. Best unknown power pop album by a future songwriter for NSync)



G- The Knack's Get the Knack
In the world of great debuts, this is one of the greatest.




H- The Hellacopters' High Visibility
When it looked like Rock was dead, a bunch of Swedish groups were doing their best to keep it alive. The last new album I ever bought on Vinyl. In 2002!





I- Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold us Back
The manifesto of Rap. Timeless and of it's time. Genius. Woe is us what hath come in its wake. And woe to you, flavor flav!




J- Queen - Jazz
No chance there wouldn't be more than one Queen album on this list. With every misfire there was a Dead on time, Bicycle Race, Fat Bottomed Girls and Don't Stop me Now.



Runner up: Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool. He's cool. He's the Jesus of cool. And he may be the greatest single songwriter that side of the pond. Is he the british Randy Newman? Yeah, prolly.



K- Adam and the Ants' Kings of the Wild Frontier
Best. New Wave. Album. Ever.



L- Joe Jackson's Look Sharp
This list is decidedly latter day 70's. Alas, that was the time of my musical life. But, this is hard to argue with. Perfect pop rock confection.




Runner up Mika's Life in Cartoon Motion What a hit this would have been 30 years ago. As it is, it just makes us happy all the time it's on.



M- Royal Crown Revue's Mugzy's Move
I was at Hear Music (Before Starbucks descended) and this was staff recommended. I bought it. Then I ahd a heart attack. I think I listened to it every single day fo recovery. Then I promptly learned how to swing dance. Saved my life, it did. Truly an honor when Scott Steen, the trumpet player for RCR came to see my band.




N- The Kleptones' Night at the Hip Hopera
Mashups can be really tricky. This one was released about 2 or 3 years ago. 20 or so cuts of Queen music with rap lyrics mashed on top. Unbelievably great.




Runner up: The Vapors' New Clear Days. It's much much more than that one Japanese tune.



O- Ani Difranco's Out of Range
Out of the DIY 90's emerged Ani. I was one of the earliest tubthumpers for this cd when I was reviewing for Home Theater Tech magazine. "Just the thought of our bed makes me crumble like the plaster where you punched the wall beside my head." Who writes lyrics like that? Brilliant!




P- Weezer's Pinkerton
I bought the story that this follow up sucked. Then I bought it. 7 years later. Blew my mind. easily the best in Weezer's ouvre. And enough to make one go out and buy Rentals cds, since it was Matt Sharp's influence on this record that forced his ouster from Weezer.




Q- Queen's Queen II
Holy crap, that's a lot of Queen on my ipod. This is one of the great unheralded albums of the 70's.



R- Jenny Lewis Rabbit Fur Coat
Damn you, Jenny Lewis! I don't want to like country! Fuck, this is tasty stuff. Too bad the new Rilo Kiley is pretty crappy.



S- Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow
Art Alexakis may write the same song over and over again, but on this one he got it right every single time.




T- Throttle Back, Sparky
He he he.....What can I say?




U- The Libertines' Up the Bracket
The Libs wrote some great songs. They always sounded like they were about to fall apart and implode. They did. But not before they put out two great albums.



V- Violent Femmes
Recently voted by a bunch of musicians that I know as the definitive album of the 80's. I have to agree. I think the influence is far reaching into Indie. It's really the godfather of that movement. Plus, it has the distinction of being the first album to go gold while never charting once. Go College Radio!




W- Rick Springfield's Working Class Dog
I know, I know. I was a Rick hater too. Then I bought this on vinyl for my wife. I played it one day and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's crisp. It's sharp. It's smart. It's POWER POP defined.




X- X's Wild Gift
Fuck you, letter X. I played this album so much when it came out you could hear the other side coming through.





Y-Public Enemy's Yo! Bum Rush the Show
The only "y" album I own. So what, you know? This is street Rap at it's best.




Z- Cherry Poppin Daddies' Zoot Suit Riot
I can't stand any of their ska music, but I love their swing. Go figure. This is one great tossback to an amazing era.

1 comment:

SamuraiFrog said...

I have to find A Night at the Hip Hopera. I have listened to the 50 Cent/Queen mashup Q-Unit, which had some moments.