Monday, January 1, 2024

The 1982 Listening Post - Sparks - Angst in My Pants

 Reviewed by Stephen Romone Lewis

Released: March 29 1982 Sparks Angst In My Pants Genre: Pop New Wave Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stephen’s Rating: 5 out of 5 Highlights: Angst In My Pants I Predict Mickey Mouse Moustache Instant Weight Loss Sparks tickle my soul. So, it hurts me existentially that they are not embraced by everyone who loves pop. I understand why reggae fans and polka fans don’t flock to them, but if you’ve ever tapped your foot, even accidentally, to John Mayor, Nickleback or Beyonce WHY DO YOU SHUN SPARKS!? I have 3 theories. One: Russell Mael’s squeally, multi-octave voice is an acquired taste (a musical anchovy). Two: You are turned off by the lyrics. I guess that for SOME people only vague, lovey-dovey pap passes as pop and all other subject matters are instantly regarded as novelty. Three: you’re a fucking moron. Angst in My Pants is eleven tracks of pure, ass-wiggling pop. Yes the lyrical subjects are unconventional: the joy of having a moustache, a sentient cigarette, Tarzan and Jane, Sherlock Holmes, but every tune will stick in your head. Haven’t you heard enough dopey love songs? Come on give a tune about the world’s worst Nostradamus impersonator (Nostra-dumb-ass) a chance. “I predict, Lassie will prove that Elvis and her had a fleeting affair.” One soul tickling thing about Sparks is that they are still actively working and creating. The world seems slightly less post-apocalyptic when I see people a decade older than me putting out inventive and addictive music. It gives me hope. This year Russell and Ron Mael’s (Sparks) film musical, Annette, premiered at Cannes, and their album A Steady Drip, Drip Drip was the only good thing about 2020 besides not having to leave my house. They have 26 albums dating back to 1971 including a collaboration with Franz Ferdinand. I don’t love each one, their work with Giorgio Moroder leaves me cold, but when they set out to write a pop tune, I can’t unhear it (in a good way). Haters, give them a chance. And LONG LIVE ROCK-N-ROLL! Memo to ukulele players: “Moustache” is super easy and fun to play. Only 3 chords C, F and G.

No comments: