Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Reflecting Pool - Weezer - Pacific Daydream


Weezer - Pacific Daydream - 2017


On that opener, "Mexican Fender", is Weezer biting on "Baba O'Reilly"?? Sure sounds like it. 

Man, this is a crunchy record. If the previous one was light and airy and full of summer this one is...bigger, more expansive and...darker. 

And that album cover might be my favorite in their entire catalog. Surpassing Everything Will Be Alright as my favorite Weezer album cover. 

A lot of this makes sense, sonically, since it's produced by Butch Walker. He's magic on the knobs. 

But it's really much ado about nothing cuz the songs are distractingly uninteresting. Songs like "Sweet Mary" and "Out There" really require LESS production, guys. 


I revisited this record today and, honestly, I think I was a little harsh. I recall that I felt like I HAD to review it to complete the saga but, I didn't give it the patient listen it deserved. It's really something to wade through all of Rivers' music while thinking about Weezer's relationship to Generation X. They are really OUR band. I'm not sure if anyone will recognize that in the end but...

Go to Genius.com and read Cuomo's lyrics. He finds melody and choruses in his own life's observations and banalities. And writes a mean hook. 


Grade: B-

A Side: Mexican Fender, Weekend Woman, Feels Like Summer

BlindSide: Sweet Mary, Out There, Beach Boys


 

No comments: