Saturday, June 22, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Ray Davies - Return to Waterloo

Ray Davies - Return to Waterloo


#262/896
July 1 1985
Ray Davies
Return to Waterloo
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Return to Waterloo
Not Far Away
Expectations 
Voices in the Dark

I am not a Kinks expert. I know that there are some who believe they are superior to The Beatles or the Rolling Stones and I can’t comment on that except to say that what I have heard I have often loved. And also from what I hear Cheap Trick might owe more to Ray Davies than Paul McCartney. I’ve often felt that Nielsen was sardonic more than earnest and Davies strikes me as such as well.
The Davies brothers feud means that some of these songs are from the last Kinks record (which I enjoyed) but with Dave’s guitar removed. Families….
It’s hard to highlight stuff like “Sold Me Out” since it’s a repeat from a previous album. 
It’s a good collection of tunes by a guy who knows how to write em. 
And, honestly, had I not heard a third of this record before I would give this a much higher rating. 


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB4v3mpX4qk&list=PLW2UMZwTI4agqO4xno_EFB9sinucFhONQ&index=1

No comments: