Monday, January 17, 2011

Listening Post: HelloGoodbye - Would It Kill You



HelloGoodbye - Would it Kill You - 2010 (Buy It)
The blog-tweet string continues.
3 years ago I heard "Hold it In" by Jukebox the Ghost on a blog via the Peel Blog aggregator. I became a fan. Then I heard about them going on tour with a band from socal called HelloGoodbye.
meanwhile....
I read about fun. on Popdose. Bought it based on the review. Became a fan. Followed them on Twitter. They tweet how great Steel Train is. That album becomes my favorite of the year.
Steel Train just retweeted that the new HelloGoodbye album, Would it Kill You is on sale at Amazon for $3.99. Until I get a lemon this is a fine way for me to find out about and discover new music.

How is it?

Super quick brit-pop sounding power pop with a decidedly shiny gleam. Synths and horns abound on much of the tightly woven pop confections. You can't hate the record because before you know it, it's over.
We are BACK to the 35 minute rock album and all's I kin say is Thank Gawd!
I really like WiKY. There's no novelty emo crap on this record. And it's a very nice, if edgier companion piece to fun.'s "Aim & Ignite". Lot's of great pop influences here, these guys were obviously weaned on The Beatles and The Beach Boys but they learned how to play their instruments and play them well.

Grade: A
ASide: Getting Old, When We First Met, I Never Can Relax, Copportone, Would it Kill You?

No comments: