Friday, January 22, 2010

Kissening Post: Kiss - Carnival of Souls



Kiss - Carnival of Souls - 1997

Here's what this record is. In 1995 or so Kiss went in to the studio and recorded a bunch of songs that sounded like "the sound of the day", meaning Soundgarden & Alice in Chains. Somewhere along the lines the idea hit Gene and Paul to reunite with Ace and Peter. That concept represented a much bigger cash opportunity. So they fired Kulick and Singer and shelved the tracks.
But the songs got out. Kiss fans started trading them. Not wanting to miss ANY cash op, S&S put out a formal release. And the result is this album.
So, what does it sound like?
If you LOVE Soundgarden and Alice in Chains but are bored by all the albums you've already heard and you don't mind a sound alike, then this record is for you.
I do not like AiC. Or SG. Their music actually makes me a little nauseous. So, this record makes me feel a little queasy. It's got that bass-driven sound that is all minor and sad and epic and...blech.
So, I can't even recommend any tracks because it all sounds the same to me.
You don't believe me? Listen for yourself.
I'm movin' on. I listened so you didn't have to.



Grade: As an Alice in Chains ripoff: B-
As a Kiss album: D

2 comments:

Bruce said...

I just ran across this blog post and I know you posted it over a year ago.

I respect your review of Carnival of Souls, but not sure I agree with it 100%. I am a big Kiss fan as well as grunge and I have all of Kiss's CDs plus a few AiC and SG albums.

I don't think Carnival of Souls sounds at all like the grunge groups. I thought it had a harder edge sound that was current at the time of the mid 90's, but this was heavier than those other groups that you mentioned.

I was actually a little tired of the Kiss sound, but being a die hard fan I stuck with them. They are a very talented group of musicians.

When Carnival of Souls came out, I thought it was a nice change.

Allen Lulu said...

First, thanks for reading. You really don't think that they were shooting for that sound? Look at that cover. And this was the time, the tail end of the grunge movement. I found this record impossible, and I'm really glad they abandoned the sound.
I hope you'll read the rest of the Kiss reviews, though. I had NO idea they put out that much stuff.