Friday, February 1, 2008

Sax Rohmer #1.

The Mountain Goats review is coming. I promise. I am still digesting this album. It takes many many listens. It demands an audience. Nothing perfunctory here. Simply put, it's fantastic.
Until the review comes, let me whet appetites with this glorious video from the first single.
Yes, I know John Darnielle has a difficult, nasally voice, deal with it. At least he doesn't sound mentally challenged like Colin Meloy.
Darnielle's lyrics are more than half the song. His words are tantamount to reading novellas. Or, in the case of his "Alpha" series, tomes. The alpha series deals with a mutually destructive couple that are drinking themselves to death rather than excape each other. Their lives are chronicled on "Tallahassee" and I haven't begun to plunder that one yet. Nor have I sunk my teeth into "The Sunset Tree, which is about an abusive father. Or Get Lonely. Which contains one of the greatest songs of breakup (or death) I have ever heard.

The first video from "Heretic Pride", Sax Rohmer #1 is here. The video (equally amazing) for Woke Up New is below.


"Woke Up New" from the album Get Lonely.

No comments: