Saturday, July 17, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Wihsbone Ash - Number the Brave

Wishbone Ash - Number the Brave 


#146

April 1981

Wishbone Ash

Number the Brave

Genre: Classic Rock

4 out of 5



Highlights:

Where is the Love

Open Road



Requisite 80s cover: Smokey Robinson’s “Get Ready”. You ever want to know what a classic Motown song would sound like if sung by The Hudson Brothers on a track produced for the Guitar Hero video game franchise. Here you go. 


Without really knowing much about Wishbone Ash prior to the 80s, amidst a sea of really unimpressive music during the first quarter of this year, I gotta say, I’m not hating this. Is it great? No. Does it fill that groove boogie rock hunger that I have when ZZ Top isn’t around? Yep. 

Lyrically it’s not that great, but that’s not what I look for in riff-rock. I want the guitars to blaze and I want the production to bounce around in my head, making my toes tap and have me reaching for my invisible Stratocaster. 

That’s what’s going on here. 

Did anyone know that John “Asia” Whetton was in Wishbone Ash? No? Me neither. He wrote track 8, “That’s That”. A perfectly fine locomotive of a tune that’s really just an excuse for dueling double guitars to battle it out on the breaks. 


How does this band have a guy named Laurie but it’s the other singer who sounds like a woman? Wishbone Ash…you imps. 




YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQWS6krLaU&list=PLdSsAj-Nxz3VfwdZXISlheLcJVMJQLITy

No comments: