Saturday, July 17, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Silent Guests - In My Secret Garden

 Silent Guests - In My Secret Garden



#158

1981 Housekeeping

Silent Guests

In My Secret Garden

Genre: Alternative Power Pop

3.5 out of 5



Highlights:

Imaginary Lines




This is a weird record. It doesn’t really fit any of the genres we are used to. It’s Power Pop but it’s also New Wave and it’s alternative and Indie. There’s a Game Theory-ness to some of it as well. I know that the lead track, “Desperate Measures” kicks off the record because it’s the strongest piece of confection, but the pounding drums and fuzzy nasal Vox of “Imaginary Lines” are the real hook for me. 

There’s a lot of paisley revival sounds on this, especially on “Fictional Girl” but, those scratchy guitars elevate into something I would happily have listened to in the 90s. 

Sadly, we don’t have the full album, and that always results in a point drop. Otherwise, I would say that this is one of the more rewarding post-rock discoveries of 1981.

This album gets darker and darker (what we know of it) as it progresses and that’s what a great album should do: tell a story. 




YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rc_OTqpXoU&list=PLlvn8uktX5LtNIT2oxhEesCH7YgupQIjg  (Mising 4 tracks - Drawn to the Water, Leading Me On, The Guests Have Arrived and In My Secret Garden)

No comments: