Thursday, July 15, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Tenpole Tudor - Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary

Tenpole Tudor - Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary #133 April 17 1981 Tenpole Tudor Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary Genre: Unexpectedly bonkers New Wave/Punk 4.5 out of 5 Highlights: Swords of as Thousand Men Header Now Wunderbar Three Bells in a Row I was never really a punk. I mean, yeah, I had Never Mind the Bollocks and the first two Clash albums and Dead Kennedys In God We Trust and Plastic surgery but I leaned more to melodic rock. Much as I love “Deutscher Girls” by Adam and the Ants, I’m more of a “Dog Eat Dog” guy. I saw The Great Rock and Roll Swindle but Tenpole Tudor has faded from my memory of that flick. Replaced by Tenpole’s appearance in Absolute Beginners and, by then, he was but a name I had read in passing in fanzines. I was mislead about Tudor. This isn’t “punk”. This is raucous and silly pub rock. “There Are the Boys” drifts more into Ant territory than The Clash. Even though this music would never ever ever be played there, I want to see a montage of Fawlty Towers physical comedy set to “Three Bells in a Row”. This record borders on Oi but never goes there and that’s to it’s credit. Give these guys a pint when they get offstage. https://music.apple.com/us/album/eddie-old-bob-dick-gary-let-four-winds-blow-stiff-anthology/1368581437

No comments: