Thursday, July 15, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - John O'Banion - John O'Banion

John O'Banion - John O'Banion #127 April 10 1981 John O’Banion John O’Banion Genre: Male Pop Vocalist 2.5 out of 5 Highlights: Love is Blind Requisite 80s Cover: “Walk Away Renee”. I can not express how much this sounds like it fell off Olivia Newton John’s Have You Never Been Mellow album. One of the things I noticed that we didn’t hear a lot of was that male vocalist sound. The kind of stuff you would hear from Eddie Money, Michael Bolton and others. I often liken them to American Idol finalists because I truly think that, 20 years after this, that’s where these artists would have to go to get their shot. O’Banion is one of these. Somewhat anonymous sounding, without much personality but he can hit the notes. He’s Johnny Bravo. Not the cartoon, the manufactured character that Greg Brady was almost turned into. In other words, O’Banion “fits the suit”. I have no enmity for people like John, after all, if I could have had a career as an actor and vocalist, I would probably have done my damndest to be either the Phantom or the lead in Chess. I don’t know if that’s where John ended up. I know he died after a car accident and that’s sad. This album is a bunch of Richie Zito & Joey Carbone songs. The kind of pap that you hear on the office radio before you convince the office manager to try Morning Becomes Eclectic and she does and everyone’s taste gets better. (This happened. 1989. Federated Bank. Money Market account processing. Boy I haven’t thought about THAT place in a while…) https://music.apple.com/us/album/john-obanion/1461757991

No comments: