Saturday, July 17, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - City Boy - It's Personal

 City Boy - It's Personal



#165

1981 Housekeeping 

City Boy

It’s Personal

Genre: Rock

4 out of 5



Highlights:

No Ordinary Life

Lovers

Exit the Heavyweight




The last album for a Power Pop band stuck in the 70s. I’m kind of surprised they never appeared on my radar. I have a soft spot for Bay City Rollers ever since my mother gave me and my brother BCR records for Christmas in 1977. I do not know why she did that. Maybe she saw me watching their Saturday Morning show. 

City Boy didn’t get the message. They are still trying to compete in the New Wave arena which includes the requisite while guys doing reggae (“The Blind Leading the Blind”) which just comes across as a naked attempt to bite on The Police’s apple. Remarkable how much “Who Killed Delores” sounds like The Tubes. 


The best thing I can say about this perfectly acceptable record by a fading Power Pop band is that it’s a perfectly acceptable record by a fading Power Pop band who sometimes wishes they were Styx. 





https://music.apple.com/us/album/its-personal/415160304

No comments: